Foundry VTT Journal Sync
This module will allow you to export and import Journal entries to the server and store them as markdown files.
Import and Export
There are two ways to import and export journal entries described below. If you are importing a new markdown file you will need to export it again so the ID of the Journal entry is added to the file. This allows the entry to be updated on the next import. Make sure you delete the old entry and only edit entries with the ID in the filename.
To export enter
/js export in the chat. To import enter
Using UI Buttons
By selecting the notes section on the left of the UI you will see two new buttons, one for import and one for export.
By default all the files wil be stored under a folder called
journal-sync off the Foundry VTT
Editing the Journal Entries
You can use anything to do this however I find Visual Studio code good for this as it is a simple UI and works well with markdown. For bonus points you can run Visual Studio Code in a docker container if you are hosting it locally or on a local server. Then the UI for the notes is also web based. See Running VSCode in Docker below.
If you are running Foundry VTT locally just open the
journal-sync folder under the
Data directory and go to town.
1.0.0 - 2020-08-11
Note: This is a breaking change and only works on 0.7.8 or later of Foundry VTT
- Fixed: Error uploading files to server. https://gitlab.com/foundrynet/foundryvtt/-/issues/4221
0.6.10 - 2020-08-11
- Fixed: Versions in the Mainfest files.
- Added: Script to handle the release automatically.
- Fixed: The Build to only run on a tagged release not every release.
0.6.0 - 2020-08-04
- Fixed: On import files other than markdown files would be imported.
- Fixed: Issues on Forge for export due to the data folder #2
- Fixed: .md was added to the Journal Entry name in foundry.
- Changed: Switched to release on version tag.
0.5.0 - 2020-07-10
- Added: When import / export detects that the content is JSON Markdown / HTML conversion is skipped.
- Fixed: When skipped folder or name is empty files in root of Journal were not being imported / exported.
0.4.1 - 2020-07-10
- Fixed: Name of Journal when exporting was not correct.
0.4.0 - 2020-07-02
- Added: Option to skip folders and Journals that have special formatting and are not actually journal entries.
- Added: Resolved issues with Forien's Quest Log and formatting. #1
0.3.0 - 2020-06-27
- Added: Ability to link to editing UI
- Added: Buttons in UI to import and export
- Added: Cleaned up UI messages to be less
- Added: Added ability to turn tracing on for the console log
0.2.1 - 2020-06-24
- Added: Github action to automatically publish the module.
- Added: CHANGELOG.md to track all the changes.
0.2.0 - 2020-06-21
- Added: Appended the ID of the Journal Entry to the filename to allow entries with the same title be updated.
- Added: Creation of folders in Foundry VTT to match server file system.
- Fixed: Made all functions async to handle calls and race issues
0.1.0 - 2015-10-06
- Added: Initial release
- Added: Created simple module to import and export Journal Entries to the file system and used Markdown as the format.
- Added: Created import and export commands for chat window.
- Tools and Controls
- Content Importers
- Journals and Notes