Foundry Virtual Tabletop¶
Welcome to the documentation for Foundry Virtual Tabletop, an application for organizing and running tabletop roleplaying games in a beautiful and intuitive web-based application.
About Foundry VTT¶
Foundry VTT attempts to innovate in several key areas.
- Built using modern web technologies. Some of the leading options in the virtual tabletop space suffer from sluggish application performance. Foundry VTT is built with a highly modern stack of proven web technologies which provide a great user experience.
- Intuitive and full-featured user experience. There are many virtual tabletops out there, some of which are extremely intuitive and simple to use, others of which are highly complex with an enormous set of features. With Foundry VTT I attempt to deliver a full-featured product with an incredibly simple and intuitive user experience. If you or your players have found virtual tabletop software to be confusing in the past - Foundry VTT should feel like a breath of fresh air. It’s simple!
- System agnostic. Foundry VTT isn’t intended to emphasize a single game system, but rather to provide a rich framework with an excellent set of core features that allows community members to implement fully-featured game systems within the environment. I may sponsor a handful of build-in system implementations to help get players started, but ultimately my vision is that the greatest resources for this product will be its developer community.
- No gating or premium features. With Foundry VTT you won’t have to pay for features which other options treat as “premium features”. Features like dynamic lighting, compendiums and character vaults, interactive character sheets, audio controls, triggers, linked map transitions, and more all will be included in the base product.
- No reliance on an external service or platform. As game masters we invest hundreds (if not thousands) of hours painstakingly crafting rich worlds. That creativity and artistic expression should not be tied to one single platform or service. Since Foundry VTT is self-hosted, you will always be able to rely upon the software to run your game sessions. There is never any risk of a required service getting shut off or going away. Game data is stored in an embedded database which means that even if you end up moving away from Foundry VTT in the future, you will still have all your data that you can migrate to a new platform.
There are two primary means of hosting a game session in Foundry VTT.
- Peer-to-peer using a native application. In this mode, the session host runs an app on their own computer which hosts the game session and players connect directly to the hosted game.
- Dedicated standalone server. Foundry VTT also supports a “headless” installation on a Linux or Windows server which allows the game to be persistent where both players and GMs can connect to the world.
Try the Demo¶
Please feel free to try a working demo of my progress thus far. As I develop and refine new features in my local test environment I am pushing them (often daily) to the development/demo server. Please feel free to check back frequently to keep an eye on my progress!
As you are visiting the demo, please be aware of several key factors and ground rules.
- This demo is “pre-Alpha”. I am not yet near feature complete. There will be bugs. There will be things that do not work at all. There will be things that are obviously incomplete.
- I am hosting this demo server for a limited number of sample player accounts. Please don’t monopolize the limited slots by leaving your browser connected for hours.
- I will reset the demo regularly back to a “safe state” - do not expect any data to be saved.
- Don’t be a jerk.
The current Foundry VTT demo password is
foundry. This password may rotate if needed to prevent abuse.
Those disclaimers aside, you can find the demo here: http://foundryvtt.com:30000
Join our Discord¶
If you would like to get involved in Foundry Virtual Tabletop development and participate in conversation with an active group of fellow RPG enthusiasts, please join us in Discord. The Discord server is the best place to get daily updates on product development, learn about testing opportunities, and provide feedback on how Foundry VTT can achieve its greatest potential. Hope to see you there!